They did manage to collect enough dirt on this poor bastard to fire him but that's not the point. The ends shouldn't justify the means...

(nydailynews)
Here's every employee's nightmare come true, according to the New York Civil Liberties Union: A GPS device "planted as part of an investigation into workplace misconduct, tracked the whereabouts of 30-year state Department of Labor employee Michael Cunningham and his family for at least a month, including during evenings, weekends and while the family went on vacation out of state."

The crux of the matter, according to the suit, was that nobody got a warrant to bug Cunningham's personal car.

“I can’t believe that they would invade my privacy so brazenly,” Cunningham said. “It made me scared for myself and the rest of my family, who also drove the car. I don’t want other state employees subjected to this outrageous and illegal surveillance...”
(more)